One major issue...there isn't much collective pillow info online!
Below is the research I gathered from hours of 'googling' for the best pillows out there in Australia. Keep in mind that the prices are in AU dollars, not in any particular order and possibly limited by availability in Australia. There are many types of pillows out there from Cotton, Wool, Synthetic to Liquid...My selection is based on ergonomic quality, protection features, and long term usage (as the product claims) which ultimately helps corrects neck posture, align the spine and reduce snoring, etc~See below.
"WHEN TO CHANGE PILLOW"
---------------------------------
The average pillow ($10-20) should last up to 6 months on general usage. If in doubt, put runners in a plastic bag, fold pillow, place shoes on top and check if it bounces the shoes off?~ If it doesn't, your neck and spine is likely to be suffering damages without you knowing!
"CARING FOR YOUR PILLOW"
----------------------------------
To care for your pillow (investment), I recommend a waterproof pillow protector/cover to prevent staining (not cotton pillow covers/clothing fabric). Price range is from $5-35 AU ranging from disposables to 2 years +. (some such as "Homedics" pillow protectors in USA provides up to 10 years!). Do take note of the surface type (rough/smooth) and choose to your liking.
The better pillowcase: "Protect-a-bed Cumfy Safe tencel waterproof" $28, 3 yrs warranty, protection against dustmite, stains, microbes, allergens, plus extra comfy design, zipper and wrinkle-free).
"MY SLEEPING PROFILE"
----------------------------------
I'm a side/back sleeper and turn a lot so I require a pillow that has a medium/high firmness. For stomach sleepers (kills the spine), a low/soft pillow is recommended. If you wish to overcome this stomach-sleeping habit, you can place a soft/low pillow under your knees when sleeping in back position~ very comfortable.
I am interested in a pillow that supports my study needs (at university), providing comfort EVERYTIME I sleep and can hold out for AT LEAST a year. The brand I am using atm is "Tontine for Side Sleepers" ($20 AU from target). It feels 'comfy', but it can be much better waking without neck pains or muscle stiffness. ~ From my research and personal preferences/cost considerations, I purchased #2, Denton's Talalay 100% latex pillow for $70 at a Bed linen Shop inside the Westfields early January 2009.
Good Overviews of pillows can be found at:
http://www.readersdigest.c
http://www.allergybuyerscl
For brands listed (and other) and pillow types:
http://www.pillowscience.com.au/default.asp
http://sleeplikethedead.com/pillow-reviews.html
"RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS"
-----------------------------------
All pillows below are Dustmite-free/Anti-microbial/Al
1. Somna Medica Pillow (Memory Foam-Viscoelastic)
--------------------------
- Approx. $130
- The advised medical solution, used in NASA
- 5 year warranty
Description:
http://www.pillowscience.c
2. Denton's "Talalay" pillow (Latex Pillow)
--------------------------
- Approx. $85, managed to find at $69
- Best Airflow, heat/cool smart
- 3 year warranty
Description:
http://www.dentons.com.au/
$76 at http://www.sportstek.net/p
Note- watch for 'synthetic' materials in lower quality latex pillows (not 100% latex), they can do harm (petroleum-derived).
3. Mediflow "Chiroflow" Waterbase pillow (Water Pillow)
--------------------------
- Approx. $100, managed to find at $94
- Good heat dispersion, adjustable firmness
- 2 year warranty
Description:
https://www.chiroflowpillo
A List of retailers and further description, price may vary...
http://www.synapticdesign.
http://www.activeforever.c
$94 at http://www.chirostore.com.
Note: Do not confuse with Mediflow "FibreFill" (Better quality) and "Downfill" (Cheaper), which both I think are of a lower standard than the Chiropillow.
4. Other brands
-------------------
If you are willing to spend above $100 AU, then I suggest you look for the "Tempur branded" Pillows, which can be up to $200. The above DOESN'T include shipping fees. Research and remember, sleep takes a third of our day...!
"WHERE TO BUY"
--------------------
Online stores are always open unless out of stock but will be troublesome if warranty claim is required. If you dislike the idea of contacting the manufacturers, then the retail stores will be the best option. The best time to buy manchester is a few days after christmas or half-yearly sales where linens are reduced to niche prices. David Jones/Myers will usually stock the Latex Pillows I mentioned above, but do check Adairs, Kmart, etc, which may stock for lower prices all year around.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember ~"$100 dollars can't directly recover bad sleep from a day but can buy back good sleep for 3 years minus the ailments".
All the best with sleep health!
Red-Energy.
Does this help? I would love to hear your thoughts.
hmm...i just use the ones my parents bought, whatever they are :X
ReplyDeletehavent suffered from irregular sleep pattern :X
That is true, not every one suffers from back/neck pain [you lucky person!].
ReplyDeleteI guess pain doesn't always mean 'ouch' or the intensity it implies. Back and neck issues do not stem only from posture/alignment during sleep, but usually by our daily habits (sleep on ground, sofa, work desk, etc).
Thanks for your comment. I hope the information from the blog has helped.
Wish you good health mate.
why good pillows are soooo expensive? T.T
ReplyDeleteGood research. thanks
ReplyDelete